Monday, May 23, 2011

Black Shirt makeover

My SIL gave me some clothes a while back that she didn't want anymore.  I was happy to take them!  I don't mind hand me downs!  Here is what the shirt looked like before:
It's cute, and I love the gross grain ribbon tie, but it was a little plain and needed some more color.  Here is what I did:
I took some black and white fabric from my stash and cut 3-4 strips about 12-15 inches long and about 2 inches wide.  I liked the thinner strips better for this shirt.  

Now, I didn't take enough pictures for this tutorial and I apologize! 

 I have to tell you something that I have learned lately with my sewing machine.  I made ruffles out of these strips turning my thread tension to about 6-7 and the thread stitch length dial all the way up to 7.  Don't back stitch.

 I was so excited when I found out about this!  It makes the ruffle for you!!  SOOO COOL.  This piece of precious information made me jump for joy.  I was jazzed!!
Here is where I have all the ruffles pinned.  I decided to add a little ruffle embellishment on the right side.   
I pinned it REALLY good.  
Next, I sewed the ruffles on using a regular stitch and making sure I back stitched at both ends.
I made sure that I sewed right next to the ruffle stitch.  Then after I am finished, I could just pull out the ruffle stitch.  
Here is the after picture.  I was really pleased how it turned out!  Here's is what the picture looks like when I took it in the mirror:
Looks like an "S" ha!  Reminds me of those shirts that Laverne and Shirley wore (does that date me big time?)!!  It was NOT meant to be an "S!"
I think I'm gonna wear this to school this week! 

1 comment:

Thank you so much for your comments...I love them!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...